Alumni Spotlight: Catherine Than, MBA
“I decided to pursue my MBA at Webster University Thailand because it allows me to earn an American accredited Master’s degree, secure a highly professional job, and without having to travel far abroad.”
– Catherine Than, Online Marketing Associate at Agoda
Growing up as a native Vietnamese, Catherine is very interested in the field of marketing, with a particular focus on the region of Asian context. To strive for better career prospects, she has decided to move her current qualification and knowledge of the relevant field to another higher level by pursuing a Master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA). From a wide range of possibilities, she chose to set her professional goals in connection with the Webster University Bangkok Campus because of its high reputation and the given opportunities to gain mastery in English language. She has also carefully considered the location of the university. Studying in Bangkok would not only provide a very conducive environment for exposure and effective applications of her knowledge, but also offer a highly affordable and popularly priced tuition fees and living cost that may eventually allow for a high rate of return.
Catherine successfully earned her MBA and graduated from the Webster University’s Bangkok campus in May 2015. She appreciates and credits her academic success to the support, inspiration and knowledge that she received from all her professors and tutors, particularly Professor Timothy Malloy. Benefitting from the highly personalized curriculum and the excellent student-to-faculty ratio offered by Webster University, Catherine was able to learn in small and highly interactive classes together with other international students, and that environment also helped to foster her strong intercultural communication skills. As for personal development, Catherine goes so far as to exclaim that, “I am TOTALLY different from who I was 3 years ago before I joined Webster”.
At the beginning of her studies, Catherine admits experiencing and struggling from a strong communication and language barrier.
“I remember the first few days when I joined the class, I could hardly follow or understand the professor”
However, her persistence and hard work paid off when Catherine soon acquired notable improvements in her English language, and eventually thrived in the new cultural and language environment. More impressively, Catherine was offered a place in Agoda, one of the biggest online accommodation booking platforms, just after six months of her studies in Webster University Bangkok Campus. She is now employed as a full-time Online Marketing Associate – Vietnam market, at Agoda.
Utilizing the Webster’s flexible study arrangements scheme, Catherine was able to continue working at Agoda during her terms of studies by working during the daytime and attending classes in the evening. Describing these two years as “tough and with very limited time to relax”, Catherine enjoyed the processes and is appreciative of the flexibility provided, which has allowed her to develop effective time-management skill, be determined, and continued to grow both professionally and academically.
As her current position primarily focuses upon Agoda’s influence in Vietnam, Catherine anticipates returning home in 2017 to take up on a new project with the company to support Partner Services teams and to work with hotels directly. We wish Catherine well in all her future endeavors in both Thailand and abroad.
Read other articles
- Webster University Thailand’s Kenneth Houston explores the “Pandora’s Box of Identity Politics”
- Media Communications Student Creates a Platform of Expression
- Webster Thailand's Psychology Radio Podcast Series on Hua Hin Surf FM
- Media Communications Student's "Childhood Imaginations" Exhibition Aims to Inspire
- Webster Alumni Gather in Myanmar
- MAIR students visit ECPAT and Action Aid Thailand
- Collage of Cultures Celebrates Diversity
- Webster's Career Fair Attracts Leading Companies
- Loy Krathong Festivities
- Media Communications Student Creates Campaign to Raise Awareness on Child Labor and Trafficking
- Global Masters International Relations students visit UNDP
- Webster University Thailand Awards Scholarships to Education for Women Project
- Snapshot: Greenpeace South-East Asia visit, Rotary meeting and Pandit Bhikkhu, a British born Buddhist monk
- Alumni Spotlight: Marcel Reymond, MA International Relations