Questions? Feedback? powered by Olark live chat software

Visa Policy for Students

Student Visa for New and Returning Students

When a student enters Thailand with a Non-Immigrant Education Visa, or the Non-ED Visa, issued by a Thai Embassy outside Thailand, you will be granted 90 days duration of stay, and NOT 1 year. Approximately 60 days after your arrival in Thailand, or 30 days before your student visa expires, you are required to submit your original passport to the Webster University Thailand (WUT) Visa Officer. The Visa Officer will first check whether you have fulfilled the full-time student criteria as follows:

- Must register for at least 12 credits in a semester for Undergraduate students and at least 9 credits in a semester for Graduate students.

- Must have registered every semester (Summer term if optional).

- Must not be on any Academic/Admissions/Financial/Disciplinary hold.

If you have fulfilled all of the above criteria, the Visa Officer will prepare the necessary documents and accompany you to the Thai Immigration Office to extend your student visa for up to six months or one year. Please note that some students may be given a shorter visa extensions depending on each individual student’s registration history, passport validity, financial status etc.

If at any time after the student visa extension, you no longer meet the above criteria for any reason, WUT will notify the Thai Immigration Office that you no longer meet the requirements for the student visa, which will result in an immediate cancellation of your student visa sponsored by WUT.

Students are responsible for all fees and fines related to the student visa. The following fees and fines must be paid directly to the Thai Immigration Office.

- Visa extension fee: 1,900 THB

- Single re-entry permit: 1,000 THB

- Multiple re-entry permit: 3,800 THB

**A multiple re-entry permit is recommended only if you wish to exit and enter Thailand on multiple occasions during the period of your student visa validity.

- Visa transfer fee from an old passport to a new one: 500 THB

- Certificate of residence to apply for a driving license: 500 THB

- Overstay fine: 500 THB per day, Maximum 20,000 THB

- 90-days report’s late notification fine: 2,000-5,000 THB

- Change of address late notification fine: 2,000 THB

Student Visa for Graduating Students

The Thai Immigration Office requires all educational institutions to report and cancel student visa extensions as soon as their students graduate. The student visa becomes invalid once the student graduates even if the visa expiry date is several months later. Graduating students are advised to prepare to leave Thailand within two weeks after their final exam or the day their thesis receives its final grade. In addition, all graduating students are required to submit their original passport to the Visa Officer two weeks before their departure date or during their final exam/thesis defense, whichever comes first. The Visa Officer will prepare a letter requesting that the student visa extension sponsored by WUT be cancelled as the student has graduated. The Visa Officer will then go to the Thai Immigration on the graduate's behalf and get a visa extension cancellation stamp in the student’s passport. In some cases, the graduates may be required to visit the Thai Immigration Office with the Visa Officer. Failing to do so may result in an overstay fine of 500 THB per day if the graduate continues to stay in Thailand after [PS1] the graduation date. Webster University Thailand will not be responsible for any fine or inconvenience if a graduate fails to comply with this requirement.

Please be reminded that maintaining your permission to stay in Thailand is your responsibility and a privilege granted to you by the Royal Thai Government. All foreigners residing in Thailand must follow the Immigration Act of Thailand and fulfill the requirements for permission to stay in Thailand. For more information, please visit the Thai Immigration Bureau’s website at:

The Visa Officers of the Student Affairs Department are here to support you and will do everything to make the processes as smooth and hassle free as possible. You, however, have an important role to play in meeting your visa requirements. If you have any questions about your visa extension, the 90-day reporting requirements, plans to travel outside of Thailand, or a change of address notification, or if you require any visa assistance, please contact the Visa Officer of the Cha-am Campus or BKK Center.

Important Notes:

 It is your responsibility to ensure that the Student Visa (NON-ED) is up to date and valid in order for you to remain a student in Thailand.

 You are NOT allowed to work while on a student visa in Thailand.

 Do NOT leave Thailand unless you have a re-entry permit OR your student visa will be cancelled.

 Keep the Departure Card in your passport at all times as it must be returned to Thai Immigration when you depart Thailand.

 There is a weekly trip to the Thai Immigration. A prior appointment is required.

 The student visa brochures are available for download further below.

Download Visa Brochure